Thursday, March 2, 2017

Brainstorm!!!


I'm still questioning what I want to do. I have two concepts in mind, but I'm not particularly in love with either of them.


The first is titled Out, which is about a queer girl (or boy, but I'm leaning toward a female protagonist) struggling with her sexuality and thinking about a summer fling she had with a member of the same sex. Her parent, possibly a single father, is extremely homophobic, so she is closeted from him. She tries and tries to get with guys, whether it is sleeping with them or going on dates, but it just does not work. I was thinking perhaps the girl she fell in love with over the summer sends her letters and the father perhaps finds them? I just know that I have a vision for the final scene/and frame of the film, which is the main girl waiting on a bench with another girl who is also queer. She's about to turn around and speak to her, perhaps ask her out, and then the title comes on and it ends. Again, I'm not completely in love with this. I was thinking of going a more abstract route, utilizing more visual, representative storytelling and not that much dialogue. I HATE dialogue. If I'm not working with phenomenal actors, I want to stray away from writing a story that has lines of dialogue.

For the my second idea, the title is still pending, but its much more fantastical/horror/thriller. Its about a witch, or perhaps a coven of witches, that go out and kill male rapists, murderers, domestic abusers, etc. A film that inspired this idea for me was the film Only Lovers Left Alive, which took the mythos of vampires and added a modern, sexy twist to the concept. I want this piece to be "realistic," and I don't think it would require that much dialogue to elaborate whats going on, unlike in the other piece? 

I feel like I both ideas can be done easily without dialogue, its just a matter of developing a cohesive, interesting story of maximum 5 minutes. Both have their pros and cons. For Out, I never really created and LGBT related short  film, so it would be nice to tackle a topic so close to my heart. However, I feel like the casting for this piece will be very difficult, and coming up with a story with a beginning, middle, and end to such a vague, universal concept isn't impossible, just a moderate challenge. As for the witch piece, I feel like I can take advantage of my skills in stylistic filming and talents in mise-en-scene and cinematography, I'm just concerned on how I could represent the concept of witchcraft as "realistic."

I'll either make a first draft script or storyboard for both ideas to see which appeals to me the most. However, I'm not married to either short film idea, since last year my short film intro idea materialized just a few weeks before the due date, and I danced back and forth between ideas. Obviously, I don't want this to be the case this year, so I'm tackling each idea head on and working on conceptualization to see if it will work or not.


Feuer, Ben. "The Admit Reality Admissions Consulting Blog." The Admit Reality Blog. Forster-Thomas MBA, Law, Medical, College and MFA Consulting, 3 Feb. 2016. Web. 2 Mar. 2017.