Thursday, March 16, 2017

Script Rewrite: Some New Elements to Story

After discussing my film with my teacher, whom objectively pointed out some plot holes and problems with the resolution and some lack of clarity here or there, I decided to change the narrative a bit.


New Character + Scene(s)

I added another two scenes, which the location for both are the same, and the film will open and close in these two scenes. Its like an interrogation room of sorts, with a simple table and two chairs. The film opens up with the witch character sitting at one side of the table. Then a new character comes in, a detective. He brought the Witch in for some questioning, and through context clues within the dialogue, it is clear that perhaps something more happened to the the target of the Witch's curse. Context clues may also refer to the detective knowing the Witch previously. The detective asks her to say everything that happened, then we go into the whole rest of the film where the Witch curses the dude, the dude experiences these hallucinations (its not a dream anymore). We then arrive back to the scene where the detective is stunned, but not too surprised. He asks her why she did it, to which she responds "I was tired of being a bystander." The witch then asks what will happen to her, to which the detective says that she "was never here," to imply that she will suffer no consequences and that she is free to go, which hints at him actually accepting her actions.

The Victim Isn't Related to the Witch in Any Way

I was playing around with the concept that the rapist's victim (named Jane) was actually the witch's lover, which gives her the motivation to do something. However, I decided (for now) that Jane and the Witch are not related or have a relationship of any sorts. The witch did this purely because she did not want to stand by and do nothing when this injustice has occurred. I feel like this resolution/motivation is in a way more pure and less "selfish" in a way. If the victim was related to the witch in any way, it could maybe imply that she wouldn't do the same for other victims.

Some Other Notes

I'm perhaps playing with the idea in my head that the detective is in fact related to Jane in some sort. Perhaps this validates his motivation in letting the witch go without any consequences. My biggest concern is making sure it all connects in some way. The characters, their actions, why they do it, etc.



I started sending out my script to some candidates that are interested in acting in this piece. I want to start filming next week, but I'm still working on props I need, as well as what scene to film first and who to bring. Costuming is another important element of my film, so I will be making my next blog post in regards to the mise-en-scene and art direction of the short film.