Monday, March 6, 2017

Modern Witchcraft???

So I've decided to do my latter idea regarding witches and revenge, black magic, dark witchcraft, all that good stuff. Upon researching, however, I've found that the concept of witchcraft is actually quite interesting. There are various aspects to this way of spirituality, as some forms of witchcraft are actually considered a religion, whether it be Paganism or the contemporary Wicca, which is actually widely practiced and synonymous with the craft.

The conventions of witches and witchcraft nowadays are considered "evil" or satanic, where one sells their soul to the devil for these abilities and whatnot. But through researching (I've read a 10 page article so far and I've only just scratched the surface of the concept of witchcraft, predominantly Wicca), I've found that witchcraft is actually a very spiritual practice in which one draws energy from the world, the elements, and/or a deity to bless a home, wish for good fortune, healing, love, prosperity, and spiritual enlightenment. In fact, in the Wicca branch of witchcraft, it is looked down upon to use magick for evil reasons, and it is highlighted that if one who casts vexes or curses or bad spells on another will receive a consequence in return, often in threefold.

I'm starting to read on the different spells too, and those are entire different monsters I have to research. But with the concept I mentioned previously that aligns, in a way, with karma, I was thinking about my project. Perhaps the protagonist is aware of these consequences and does this vex or curse because she truly believes in her sense of justice and that what she is doing is right, despite the dire repercussions that may come.

After I'm done researching spells and other elements of witchcraft, I will do another blog post about the key concepts I want to adopt and incorporate into my film.