Tuesday, March 28, 2017

The Altar Is Complete


What you're seeing here is the official Altar that I'll be using for the short film, Black Candle. As you can see, its quite the setup. A cloth mat with the pentacle and three moons, a book of shadows, five small and one big black candle, small corked bottles with random herbs and spices, a flattened flower, a bowl with leaves and wood, and an hourglass. This collection of items is far from random, as these elements are quite critical to the narrative. Using these items, the witch in my film will be performing the ritual in which the antagonist, Keith, will be haunted by gruesome hallucinations. Not only is the specific placement of each of these items important, but the character will be interacting with each of these elements in a very meticulous manner, not dissimilar to an actual spell.


I took the liberty of taking various pictures of the altar, as well at the infamous black candle. These pictures are going to be essential for the website and postcard advertisement for the short film. I'm glad that figuring out the set up of the altar also allowed me to begin work on my minor tasks of the portfolio project. I already started playing around with potential postcard designs, which I will show in another blog post.


I'm getting a bit nervous in regards to my filming schedule. I need to film the spell-casting and hallucination scenes, I think in this order. I've already started editing but the footage that I've taken thus far is very minimal compared to the rest of the film. The intro/outro make up maybe a total minute, maybe even less. I'm going to need to create the fake news website the character uses soon, as well as get the picture of my actors for the poster/postcard advertisement. I'm getting excited and anxious, but we shall see.